Pages

Feb 1, 2014

Commemorating World Hijab Day 1st February

Thought that its kinda appropriate to post a blog today in commemoration of World Hijab Day - 1st February. Something which fits this personal (and a bit narcisstic) blog of mine! Hehe!
Hijab...mandatory for all Muslim women. Hijab is not an option. But 'hijab' does not mean "a good woman". Well, to me personally. We can't just place a judgement on any woman just by the hijab. Everything is from within...the heart matters.
While browsing all the online posts with regards to World Hijab Day...it just dawned on me when I started wearing the hijab...
Its was June 1999. I had accompanied my grandma for a small pilgramage trip aka umrah. It was a 2 weeks trip and I was able to step my feet on the holy land of Mecca & Medina....which I hv yet to visit again ever since. I was 18...prime of my teenage years.
I had just finished my 'A's the year before that. My best friend then got a place in NUS...and I didn't. It was a setback. So I volunteered to accompany my grandma then...to grab the chance to see the holy Kaabah...to make duas in front of it....coz they will be fulfilled...insyaAllah.
So I made my duas...abt my future...my studies...my career...my partner ( I had known the husbern then )
And alhamdullilah...I received an offer for teaching soon after & my family (especially my fierce like tiger Abah) accepted my boyfriend then well. And that might explain why I got hitched at an early age! Haha!
The 2 weeks of umrah and ziarah was simply beyond words. Every single day...I was donning the hijab. Never missed a single solat...masyaAllah. Alhamdullilah...
Hence, upon return...the hijab stayed till today. The fortnight has made me so used to donning the hijab that it felt kinda 'naked' not having it on.
And again, I'd like to emphasise that the hijab does not mirror a person fully. I, myself, is not anywhere good yet.
Let's work to be the best Muslim / Muslimah we can be...insyaAllah! ;))
C